- I am interested in human optimization problems, which involve the development of software tools to improve how people learn, remember, and make decisions.
- I build computer simulation models of human cognition that allow us to predict and understand behavior. I have worked in the areas of selective attention, awareness, memory, learning, executive control, decision making, and neuropsychological disorders.
- Using these models, we can determine the most effective means of teaching and the manner in which to best present information for human consumption. One current project is the Colorado Optimized Language Tutor, which helps students learn facts (e.g., foreign language vocabulary) by scheduling study to promote long-term retention.
- I use artificial intelligence and machine learning methods to make computer systems smarter and easier to use. A past project that got some notoriety was the adaptive house, a control system that learns to manage energy resources (air heat, water heat, lighting, and ventilation) in an actual residence to maximize the satisfaction of the inhabitants and minimize energy consumption.
- I consult for companies that do data mining (Cognilytics, AnswerOn, JD Power and Associates Web Intelligence) and pattern recognition (Sensory, Inc., Exelis Visual Information Solutions)
- Machine learning and big data analytics
- Bayesian models
- Cognitive science and cognitive neuroscience
- Computational modeling of human cognition