- I develop computational models to help understand the mechanisms of human cognition. I have worked in the areas of visual perception, selective attention, awareness, memory, learning, executive control, and neuropsychological disorders.
- Using these models, we build software that helps individuals to learn and remember better. One current project is the Colorado Optimized Language Tutor, which helps students learn facts (e.g., foreign language vocabulary) by scheduling study to promote long-term retention.
- I use artificial intelligence and machine learning methods to make computer systems smarter. Projects include the adaptive house, a control system that learns to manage energy resources (air heat, water heat, lighting, and ventilation) in an actual residence to maximize the satisfaction of the inhabitants and minimize energy consumption.
- I consult for companies that do data mining (Cognilytics, AnswerOn, JD Power and Associates Web Intelligence) and pattern recognition (Sensory, Inc.)
- Computational models of human cognition
- Cognitive science and cognitive neuroscience
- Applied machine learning