CSCI 5673/ECEN 5673: Distributed Systems
• Name: Shivakant Mishra
• Office: Fleming 406
• Office Hours: Monday: 2:00-3:00 PM; Wednesday: 10-11 AM
• Phone: (303) 492-4686
• Email: email@example.com
A distributed system is comprised of multiple computing devices interconnected with one another via a loosely-connected network. Almost all computing systems and applications today are distributed in nature for a variety of reasons, including resource sharing, fault tolerance, performance, security and geography. This course provides an in-depth coverage of the underlying principles and practices involved in the design, implementation and evaluation of a distributed system. The course will be divided into two parts. The first part will focus on the foundations of distributed system design, and the second part will focus on the current, state-of-the-art distributed systems technologies, including Internet-based services as well as distributed services built using small, mobile computing devices.
• CSCI 5273 or a course in Computer Networks.
Selected papers from literature.
CSCI 5673–Mishra–Distributed Systems at http://moodle.cs.colorado.edu/
Grading (Weights assigned are tentative)
Š Homework and programming assignments: 40%
Š Course Project: 20%
Š Exams and quizzes: 40%
• Homework assignments comprised of questions from lecture material and papers will be posted on Moodle every two or three weeks. You will typically have one week to submit the answers after an assignment has been posted.
• There will be four to five programming assignments during the semester. You will have two-three weeks to work on an assignment.
• Course project will be a semester-long team project. Details will be provided in class.
• There will be a midterm exam and a final exam, and several short quizzes.
• You are expected to attend all lectures and stay up-to-date with the material posted on the class webpage. If you miss a lecture, you are responsible for finding out the material covered in that lecture. If you miss an exam or a quiz, a grade of zero will be assigned, unless a valid excuse is given.
• Campus policy regarding religious observances requires that faculty make every effort to deal reasonably and fairly with all students who, because of religious obligations, have conflicts with scheduled exams, assignments or required attendance. Please notify me of any anticipated conflicts due to religious obligations as early in the semester as possible so that there is adequate time to make necessary arrangements. See the campus policy regarding religious observances for full details.
• If you qualify for accommodations because of a disability, please submit your accommodation letter from Disability Services to your faculty member in a timely manner so that your needs can be addressed. Disability Services determines accommodations based on documented disabilities in the academic environment. Information on requesting accommodations is located on the Disability Services website (www.colorado.edu/disabilityservices/students). Contact Disability Services at 303-492-8671 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance. If you have a temporary medical condition or injury, see Temporary Medical Conditions under the Students tab on the Disability Services website and discuss your needs with your professor.
• Students and faculty each have responsibility for maintaining an appropriate learning environment. Those who fail to adhere to such behavioral standards may be subject to discipline. Professional courtesy and sensitivity are especially important with respect to individuals and topics dealing with race, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, political affiliation or political philosophy. Class rosters are provided to the instructor with the student's legal name. I will gladly honor your request to address you by an alternate name or gender pronoun. Please advise me of this preference early in the semester so that I may make appropriate changes to my records. For more information, see the policies on classroom behavior and the Student Code of Conduct.
• The University of Colorado Boulder (CU Boulder) is committed to maintaining a positive learning, working, and living environment. CU Boulder will not tolerate acts of sexual misconduct, discrimination, harassment or related retaliation against or by any employee or student. CU’s Sexual Misconduct Policy prohibits sexual assault, sexual exploitation, sexual harassment, intimate partner abuse (dating or domestic violence), stalking or related retaliation. CU Boulder’s Discrimination and Harassment Policy prohibits discrimination, harassment or related retaliation based on race, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, political affiliation or political philosophy. Individuals who believe they have been subject to misconduct under either policy should contact the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance (OIEC) at 303-492-2127. Information about the OIEC, the above referenced policies, and the campus resources available to assist individuals regarding sexual misconduct, discrimination, harassment or related retaliation can be found at the OIEC website.
• All students enrolled in a University of Colorado Boulder course are responsible for knowing and adhering to the academic integrity policy. Violations of the policy may include: plagiarism, cheating, fabrication, lying, bribery, threat, unauthorized access to academic materials, clicker fraud, resubmission, and aiding academic dishonesty. All incidents of academic misconduct will be reported to the Honor Code Council (email@example.com; 303-735-2273). Students who are found responsible for violating the academic integrity policy will be subject to nonacademic sanctions from the Honor Code Council as well as academic sanctions from the faculty member. Additional information regarding the academic integrity policy can be found at the Honor Code Office website.